NEW AMBA HOTELS LAUNCHES WITH THE WORLD’S FASTEST, FREE UNLIMITED WI-FI*
Fast, free Wi-Fi more important than a good night’s sleep or friendly staff
London, 2rd December 2014: Fast, free, unlimited Wi-Fi tops the list of factors that influence our choice when booking accommodation, according to research conducted by London’s newest 4-star brand, Amba Hotels. Two thirds (67%) of those questioned said free Wi-Fi would make them more likely to choose accommodation, followed by location (65%), fast Wi-Fi with unlimited downloads (34%) and proximity to travel hubs (34%).
Fast, free, unlimited Wi-Fi in a hotel is also the most important factor for travellers when they rate a hotel. Three fifths of travellers (60%) chose this; beating a good night’s sleep (58%) and friendly, knowledgeable staff (40%).
The research questioned more than 1,000 UK travellers to discover what they look for in a hotel, as well as the irritations that ruin their relaxing trip or business stay.**
More than a quarter (28%) of travellers have complained about slow or hard to use Wi-Fi and more than four fifths (84%) of us have suffered as a result of slow hotel Wi-Fi or buffering:
- A third (33%) of us have not been able to send or receive important work emails
- A quarter (27%) haven’t been able to contact home; worrying family members as a result (22%)
- A fifth (19%) haven’t been able to check flights
- One in ten (8%) have lost a client or business opportunity after being let down by slow Wi-Fi
The research also found that travellers from Brighton, Belfast and Southampton were considerably more likely to have complained about slow Wi-Fi, whilst people from Glasgow, Nottingham and Norwich were the most laid back about staying connected.
And it’s no surprise that people rate Wi-Fi so highly and get so annoyed when it lets them down; we use Wi-Fi whilst travelling for everything from checking work emails to online dating:
- Half (54%) rely on it to check directions and two fifths for travel tips (43%)
- Half (50%) check work emails
- Three fifths (58%) check social media sites such as Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram and 31% keep in contact with friends and family via Skype
- One in ten (11%) use dating sites such as Tinder and Happn to meet people whilst they’re away
Busy working dad and This Morning presenter Jeff Brazier says; “My job means I need to be connected. Everything from keeping up with the news, checking work emails and staying in touch with family and friends. There’s nothing more frustrating than having to pay for rubbish Wi-Fi, or even worse being told the Wi-Fi is free, but it’s slow and limits the amount you can up and download. I’m pleased to see that Amba Hotels are leading the way by offering fastest, free and unlimited Wi-Fi in the UK. I hope the rest of the travel industry will take note and follow suit.”
Belinda Atkins, CEO of the new Amba Hotels said; “Fast, free, unlimited Wi-Fi is as important to our guests as any other facilities provided by the hotel – it’s actually as important as a good night’s sleep. Our WiFi has no caveats, no loyalty schemes no limit on up or down loading. It’s the fastest, free, unlimited Wi-Fi of any Meeting & Events hotel.
The new Amba Hotel Charing Cross is situated at the heart of London. The hotel is popular with UK and international tourists as well as business travellers, who often rely on Wi-Fi to work or deliver important meetings from the hotel. That’s why we offer the fastest, free Wi-Fi in the world in a meetings and events hotel, with no limits on downloads or upload speeds.”
Top 5 Considerations for UK travellers choosing accommodation
- Free Wi-Fi (67%
- Location (65%)
- Fast Wi-Fi with unlimited downloads (34%)
- Close to travel hubs (34%)
- Good bars / restaurants in hotel (26%)
What we use Wi-Fi for
- Checking social media (58%)
- Checking directions (54%)
- Sending / receiving work emails (49%)
- Local travel tips (43%)
- Skype calls (31%)
Amba Hotel Charing Cross is the first Amba Hotel, with plans for a global rollout. Situated just steps from Trafalgar Square, the hotel has the fastest Wi-Fi in the world in any Meetings & Events hotel, with no limits on uploads and download speeds.
Amba Hotels have been designed in response to customer feedback, delivering seamless technology and authentic experiences in the best locations in the world:
- The second hotel, Amba Hotel Marble Arch, will open next year with opportunities for expansion in Asia, the USA and across Europe – all in iconic locations in key cities around the world
- Smart TVs are installed in every room to make it easy to sync devices or stream from subscription accounts and USB sockets are provided in every room at the bedside
- Nespresso® coffee machines in every room, so guests can enjoy top quality coffee whenever they want – for free
- The latest technology, from check-in kiosks to smart in-room apps and i-pads in every room that guests can use to surf the net, order room service, learn more about the hotel or simply discover more about London
- A hotel brand with unique designs, driven by the individual location of each hotel, including artwork to reflect the city’s iconic attractions
- Our people are all local experts, available to help and guide guests so they get more from their stay
- On-site business and leisure facilities that meet the needs of executives using the hotel as a personal business base or business event location, or when travelling on leisure
Direct: +44 020 3301 2197
Mobile: +44 7879 672905
Direct: +44 20 3301 2159
Mobile: +44 7848 906 004
NOTES TO EDITORS
* Amba Hotel Charing Cross has the fastest free, unlimited Wi-Fi in the world in any Meetings & Events hotel, as measured on HotelWifiTest.com between 13th of October 2014 and 01st of December 2014 (listed as The Charing Cross Hotel) with an expected speed of 184 Mbps (max speed of 510 Mbps) and on RottenWifi.com between 9th of October 2014 and 01st of December 2014 with an average download speed of 134.3 Mbps and average upload speed of 90.7 Mbps, measured within at least 3 or more independent tests.
** Research by Censuswide questioned 1,003 Respondents aged 18-60, who travel 2+ times a year, stay in hotels and use Wi-Fi. Conducted between 27th November – 1st December 2014.
About Amba Hotels:
Amba Hotels aims to be a global operator of contemporary 4 star hotels owned by glh, the London-based global hotel subsidiary of the Singapore-listed GuocoLeisure Group.
Amba Hotels is launching with four hotels, situated just a few paces from world famous landmarks, in London’s most prestigious locations: Charing Cross, Buckingham Palace, Marble Arch and Tower Bridge. The hotels will re-open following major refurbishments.
glh refers to GLH Hotels Management (UK) Limited, the new name of Guoman Hotel Management (UK) Limited, a subsidiary of GuocoLeisure Limited.
glh is the largest owner-operator hotel company in London with over 4,000 hotel rooms. In total glh. has 8,279 bedrooms 337 meeting rooms across 36 Hotels in the UK.